[W8lrc] (no subject)

Jack Amelar jamelar at yandex.com
Mon Nov 30 18:09:36 EST 2020

Events December 2020 for the WM Amateur Radio community

A PERSONAL FAVOR.

WEBMASTERS and FACEBOOK PAGE Administrators,
UPDATE YOUR WB / FB PAGES during these uncertain times, actually, DO IT ALL TIMES.

Some meetings, lunches, VE Exams, etc. are are back in modified form.
Check with the club’s Web or Facebook page for updated information. Web and FB page links listed below.

MAJOR AREA EVENTS AT PRESS TIME

SKYWARN RECOGNITION DAY December 5, 2020 from 0000z to 2400z
Jason Veenstra forwarded by Tom KB8TYJ “I confirmed with the Grand Rapids NWS that they will not be hosting Skywarn Recognition Day this year due to COVID. They do believe that there will still be some kind of national Skywarn Recognition Day (most likely everyone operating from home), but they don’t have any formal information. If I hear anything I will be sure to pass it on to you. Thanks, Jason Veenstra.”
The ARRL and NWS are encouraging those who want to participate to do so from their home station.
Radio amateurs who wish to participate in SKYWARN Recognition Day may sign up for a SKYWARN Recognition Day number by completing the form found on the SRD 2020 website. During the event, operators are encouraged to exchange their name, QTH, SRD number, and current weather conditions with other participating stations. See the event website for the full operating guidelines.
https://www.weather.gov/crh/skywarnrecognition

PUBLIC SERVICE EVENTS needing AR volunteers
Nothing known scheduled at this time.

NETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNET

On air NETS, of course, are not affected.
*NEW ADDITION* Rick (KE8IKT) is going to expand the After Work/Dinner Net on the IRA link system to include Thursdays at 6 PM, effective Thursday, December 3.

The following chart created by Dave KF8QL, TNX! See attachment where available.

Monday
12:00 IRA MI Noontime Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)
7:30PM Holland ARC Net 147.06+(94.8Hz)
9:00PM Michigan VHF Traffic Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)

Tuesday
6:00PM IRA After Dinner Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)
7:00PM GRARA Net 147.26+(94.8Hz)
8:30PM WM 6 Meter SSB Net 50.140 USB

Wednesday
12:00 IRA MI Noontime Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)
7:00PM (2nd & 4th) Riverside Radio Amateurs Net 444.725+(94.8Hz)
8:00PM West MI Emergency Comm Net 145.27-(94.8Hz)
9:00PM Michigan VHF Traffic Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)

Thursday
9:00AM Auto State YLs TASLYs Net 3940KHz
6:00PM IRA After Dinner Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)
6:30PM Satern Net K8SN 442.175+(103.5Hz) AND W8LRC 145.27-(94.8Hz)
7:30PM MARA Net 145.23-(94.8Hz) x3rd Thursday
7:30PM MARA Net 145.23 simplex 3rd Thursday

Friday
3:00AM Insomniac Net 147.16+(94.8Hz) **DAY CHANGE**
12:00 IRA MI Noontime Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)
7:00PM TGIF Net Holland ARC 146.06-(94.8Hz)
9:00PM Michigan VHF Traffic Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)

Saturday
8:00AM MARA 6 Meter AM Net 50.400 AM
6:00PM IRA After Dinner Net 147.16+(94.8Hz)

Sunday
9:30PM Sidewinders Around MI Net 144.155USB
4:00PM 10 Meter Ragchew Net 28.870USB
8:00PM WM Classic Six Meter AM Net 50.400AM

Regional or national nets carried on the N8JPR 223.92+(94.8Hz) repeater.
Daily: The Nightcrawlers 220 Net, 1-2am hosted by the WM9W group in IL.
Sunday: The 220 at 2:20 Net, 3:20PM- 4:20PM, hosted by the WM9W group in IL.
Tuesday: Parker City IN 220 Net, 9-10pm, hosted by the K5VOM group in IN.
Thursday: DFW 220 Net, 9-10pm, hosted by the MJARS group in TX.
Friday: Oklahoma 220 Net, 9-10pm, hosted by the W5CUE group in OK.
Saturday: The Original 220 Preservation Net, 9PM, hosted by the W9MW group in IL.
TNX to Greg KE8GC and Tom KB8TYJ for the 220 list.

List of WEST MICHIGAN HAM NETS
http://w8lrc.org/net_calendar/

SKYWARN KENT COUNTY: Anyone interest in being a Net Control Station please contact Tom KB8TYJ tombehler at gmail.com To be NCS you will need 2M/440 base station and a high speed computer to work radar.

Want your NET listed here? Send me the information.

NEWS BROADCASTS on the IRA Link System 147.16
AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE Tuesdays at Noon
ARRL NEWS Thursdays at Noon
Coverage map with remote frequencies: http://w8ira.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/largemap.jpg
FOLLOWING THE NEWSCASTS the IRA Repeater enters Parrot (Echo) mode for 5 minutes. Good time to check your signal and modulation as this mode repeats your transmission.

NEWS BROADCASTS on the Lowell System 145.27
ARRL NEWS Saturdays 7PM & Sundays 7PM
AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE Saturdays 7PM & Sundays 7AM

Other area repeaters carrying news, send me details to be included.

NETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNETNET

>From Quin Schultze, K8QS
I launched a YouTube channel, "Ham Radio Perspectives," which addresses amateur radio culture and history as well as technology. You can access it at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos
Videos already include:
A History of the Ham Shack
10 Ways the IC-7300 Has Impacted Ham Radio
A History of Ham Radio Print Publications
The Worst HF Rigs of All Time
Ham Radio Pranks -- Part One
A History of Ham Rig Visual Design -- Military to Modern
Reviews have been very positive. Please take a look at some of the videos and post your comments on YouTube or send me a note directly.
73, Quin

FRIDAY LUNCH BUNCH is suspended UNLESS we have an exceptionally nice weather Friday, at the Airport Viewing Area/Park covered pavilion, which remains open year round including the rest rooms. 4820 Kraft Ave. SE, Grand Rapids, MI.
More details at https://www.grr.org/viewing-airplanes  https://www.facebook.com/ViewingAreaGRR/
DO NOT take 44th St / John J Oostema Blvd to the airport terminal. You cannot get to the park from there.
Bring your own lunch or snack and libation (coffee, tea, pop, etc.) Plenty of room to spread out under the open air pavilion shelter. Usual time, 11:30AM or whenever you get there, stay until you’re ready to leave.
Open to all hams, aspiring hams, inquisitive non-hams, etc. We don't care, regardless of any, or no, club affiliation. It’s a Beer & Bull session, without the Beer. We’ll talk about radio and most any other subject that comes up.
Who sponsors this? NOBODY! It's just a gathering of hams, and there's always room for you. Send an email to ny8d at arrl.net if you wish to be added to the notification email list.

MARA Social Distancing Breakfast. A temporary W8USA Event.
During the Coronavirus situation, the MARA breakfast group will meet every Saturday, 9 AM, at the Parking Lot located behind the Plainfield Fire Station located at Plainfield & 5 Mile.
Rules are bring your own Coffee, Breakfast Sandwiches, chair and enjoy.
Address of the Fire Department is 4343 Plainfield Ave NE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49525 MAP: https://goo.gl/maps/yGgc64XzrDYFyrCS8
Michigan Amateur Radio Alliance (MARA-W8USA)Talk-in W8USA 145.23-(94.8Hz) https://w8usa.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARAW8USA/

2nd Hand Ham Shop, Saturdays, 8AM “until it ends”. Used equipment, parts (some that are hard to find) and coffee with fellow enthusiasts. Operated by Tom KD8DEG.
7830 80th Ave between Polk and Baldwin, Zeeland (Blendon Township) Map: https://goo.gl/maps/mJ82NL1a9U12
https://www.facebook.com/2nd-Hand-Ham-Shop-1007064166010266/
kd8deg at centurytel.net (616)292-3335

Check out the only full time Amateur Radio store in Michigan. HAMSTERS in Dowagiac, new and used radio gear.
“HAMSTERS, Your place for amateur radio items at a fair price.”
http://ham-sters.com/  https://www.facebook.com/HamStersSomewhereInTime

MONTHLY EVENTS
Some meetings taking place on air or online. Visit club Website or Facebook page for more information.

HAM IS FOR BREAKFAST at Southside Inn, 192 W 35th St, Holland, MI 49423
Map: https://goo.gl/maps/f5DmXiQJfRXPVkQPA
The next possible date is the Saturday December 26.

Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council (MAARC-W8ZHO) meeting First Thursday,  7PM.
Monthly meetings are on the first Thursday of the month December 3, 7 PM. Held at the MAARC clubhouse, 2888 Scenic Drive on the east side of Scenic Drive. Look for our sign.
MAP: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=2888%20Scenic%20Drive&city=Muskegon&state=MI&zipcode=49445&zoom=10
http://www.w8zho.com/ https://www.facebook.com/w8zho/  146.94-(94.8Hz)

Grand Rapids Amateur Radio Association (GRARA-W8DC) regular MONTHLY meeting, the first Friday, December 4, via ZOOM. Check with the GRARA webpage or Facebook.
Map: http://www.w8dc.org/pages/Red%20Cross.html
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GRARA.W8DC/
http://www.w8dc.org/ 147.26+(94.8Hz)

Allegan County Amateur Radio Club (ACARC-AC8RC) monthly meeting second Tuesday, December 8, 7PM Plainwell Public Safety Complex, 119 Island Avenue, Plainwell, MI 49080.
The training room entrance is just North of the main entrance, towards the big doors used by the Fire trucks. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/MrttWWZJc3B2  https://ac8rc.org/ https://www.facebook.com/ac8rc/ 147.24+(94.8Hz)

Michigan Amateur Radio Alliance (MARA-W8USA) second Wednesday, December 9, meeting ON AIR, 7:30 PM. Currently, the MARA meetings at the Plainfield Township Fire Station Conference room have been canceled. Instead, the meetings are held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 7:30 PM on the 145.230-(94.8Hz) repeater. Meetings are held in Analog mode. Note, there is a “pre-net” held in C4FM digital at 7 PM. Please continue to check our website for further information.
https://w8usa.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARAW8USA/

VE TESTING. Be sure to spread the word.
Second Friday, December 11, 6:30PM, American Red Cross Building at 1050 Fuller NE, Grand Rapids MI
Map: http://www.w8dc.org/pages/Red%20Cross.html
We will be conducting the tests in the parking lot or garage.
Register on our website: http://w8dc.org/pages/exams.html
please ignore the covid statement, since we are doing the testing outside.
We will be following CDC guidelines for covid.
We will provide a clip board and a pencil for the test.
Best to bring a chair or test in your vehicle.
No exam fee, Laurel VEC. Email questions to stprovost at provtechs.com

The Holland Amateur Radio Club’s monthly general membership meeting will be held Tuesday night, December 8, either on the air, 147.06+(94.8Hz) or at the clubhouse starting at 7pm. Keep posted for further details. You don’t have to be a club member to attend. All hams welcome to join in!
Clubhouse (Chick-Owa Sportsmans’ Club, 9279 Ottogan St, Holland with masks, social distancing required)
Map: https://goo.gl/maps/J9hANUTNLaF3MQG86
http://www.hollandarc.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/233793361844/ K8DAA 147.06+(94.8Hz)

Ham License in a Day ~ Saturday, December 12, 2020
This activity will be held following the requirements for the safety of all involved, including wearing masks, limiting class size, and social distancing:
“Ham in a Day” will be held at the Chick-Owa Sportsman’s Club located at 9279 E. Ottogan Street (just west of Winding Creek) in Holland. This is an opportunity for anyone wishing to get their amateur radio technician license to study and take the exam all in one afternoon. Directed study starts at 1:00 and continues till 6:00, when the test will be given.
For registration and more information, go to: http://tinyurl.com/holo-hiad-ve. Cost for the Ham in a Day study session is $25 (which includes the book Ham Radio by Bob Heil), but there is no cost for testing.
In addition to the Ham in a Day students, anyone can arrive at 6:00 and take the technician, general, or extra class exam at no cost. Also, anyone whose license is within 90 days of expiring can renew their license between 6:00 and the end of testing at no charge.

Lowell Amateur Radio Club monthly meeting, third Thursday, December 17, 6:30 PM social, 7PM meeting. All are welcome.
Meetings at the “Shack” location OR VIA ZOOM. The Flat River Outreach Ministries (F.R.O.M) Building, 11535 Fulton St E (Hwy M-21), Lowell, just west of the Lowell Meijer.
ALTERNATIVE ADDITION ZOOM meeting being arraigned for off-site participation.
Map: https://g.page/FROMlowell?share
http://www.w8lrc.org https://www.facebook.com/w8lrc/ 145.27-(94.8Hz)

The Independent Repeater Association (IRA-W8IRA), sponsor of the 147.16-(94.8Hz) link repeater system, monthly board meeting Wednesday, December 23, 6PM. Russ’s Restaurant in Wyoming. Russ’s is located at 2340 28th St SW, Wyoming, MI 49519
Visitors, curious, etc. welcome.
Map: https://goo.gl/maps/PNnxmehUAFm
DEPENDING ON THE HEALTH SITUATION this meeting could end up on the IRA repeater. Check with the website or Facebook for updates.
http://w8ira.org/  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1764710107178775/ mailto:info at w8ira.org  147.16+(94.8Hz)

MEETINGS/EVENTS NOT LISTED ABOVE, CHECK AREA ORGANIZATIONS FOR UPDATES.

Barry County ARA (BARA-K8BMI) https://k8bmi.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/244810886954700/ 442.725+(94.8Hz)
The BARA club meetings will NOT be held at the EOC until further notice.

North Ottawa ARC (NOARC-W8CSO) http://www.w8cso.org/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/401316979888404/ 145.49-(94.8Hz)

SATERN (Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network-W8SAT)
Contact Bob WX8BOB dennis49544 at gmail.com
http://www.satern.org/  http://eds-satern.sawmni.org/

Riverside Radio Amateurs (Ionia County) W8RRA http://wa8rra.org/ n8mrc at yahoo.com  https://www.facebook.com/Riverside.Radio.Amateurs

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

UP COMING HAMFESTS
ARRL Hamfest and Convention Database http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/search
Check ARRL hamfest search and sponsor websites for any updates or cancellations before heading out

*CANCELED* LCARC Amateur Radio SwapHamfest, Sunday, December 6
Location: Madison Place, 876 Horace Brown Drive, Madison Heights, MI 48071
Website: http://www.n8lc.org
Flyer: https://www.qsl.net/n8lc/swap_flyer_2020.pdf
Sponsor: L'Anse Creuse Amateur Radio Club
Talk-In: 147.08+ (100 Hz)
Public Contact: Russell Price, N8HAR, 40565 Shakespeare Drive Sterling Hts, MI 48313-4158
Phone: 586-246-0161, Email: n8har1977 at gmail.com

If I missed something or there is something coming up of interest to the West Michigan Ham community, let me know by the 25th of the month,
email: ny8d at arrl.net

73 Jack NY8D