[W8lrc] UPDATE: Events for September 2019 for the WM Amateur Radio community

Jack Amelar jamelar at yandex.com
Fri Sep 6 10:18:20 EDT 2019

UPDATE: Events for September 2019 for the WM Amateur Radio community

Lowell Amateur Radio Club (LARC-W8LRC) will be holding their “Annual Meeting” at Saturday’s (September 7) GRAHamfest 11AM. Stick around at the hamfest and attend the meeting. The normal third Thursday meeting date for September previously announced will instead be an Open Radio Room night at the “Shack” in the Flat River Outreach Ministries (F.R.O.M) Building, 11535 Fulton St E (Hwy M-21), Lowell, just west of the Lowell Meijer. Open Radio Room on the other Thursdays, 7PM.
http://www.w8lrc.org https://www.facebook.com/w8lrc/ Map: https://goo.gl/maps/9e7G2FVkriJ2 145.27-(94.8Hz)

PUBLIC SERVICE EVENT, seriously, try to do at least one this year.
Keep Saturday, September 21 open. It is my understanding one of the area groups (I prefer not to say until more details are available) will be organizing amateur radio communications for the following:
“My name is Brent and I work for a non-profit that is having a cycle fundraiser taking place next month on Saturday, September 21st in Grand Rapids. The event is called Cycle for Life. This is our first year bringing our event to the Grand Rapids area. Our goal for this event is to raise awareness and funds for a genetic disease called cystic fibrosis. We will be offering both a 33 and 65 mile ride. It is our goal to have volunteers with HAM radio experience. Having a group or groups such as yours is critical to the safety of our cyclists.
The event will take place in Grand Rapids at Johnson Park on Saturday September 21st. I have attached both the 33 mile and 65 mile route and also attached our event poster that has additional information on it. Thanks, Brent Zuber
http://fightcf.cff.org/site/TR?fr_id=7635&pg=entry

HAM IN A DAY Saturday, September 21, 2019, Hastings, MI
This class is for anyone who would like to obtain their entry level Technician License. You can study, test and apply for your Technician License in one day for $20. No previous technical knowledge is needed, and Morse code is no longer a requirement. Materials will be supplied for the study session - pizza and pop lunch included. Please understand that structured training is not provided; rather this is a "study hall° session where you will memorize the test questions and the proper answers. Experienced Hams will answer questions and offer support. The supervised testing by the VEs (Volunteer Examiners) will follow.
Anyone 16 years old or younger must have a parent or guardian present for the entire session. 8:30 AM Class Sign-in, 9:00 AM Study Materials Distributed, 12:30 PM Lunch, 1:30 - 2:30 PM Review/Relaxation Session, 3:00 PM Testing Begins, 5:00 PM Testing Ends.
If you are only taking a test, arrival and sign-in is 2:30 PM (FREE).
VE Testing for all Amateur Radio Licenses is provided (Technician, General and Extra). Effective 1 March 2019, you will be required to have an FRN (Federal Registration Number, prior to obtaining your license. FCC website to obtain an FRN: https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do
Room size is limited! Pre-registration is required for all attendees! Registration Deadline for Class and Testing is: Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019
Sponsor: Barry Amateur Radio Association K8BMI
Location: Barry County E.O.C. Meeting Room East End of Building 2600 Nashville Rd. Hastings MI 49058. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/mJpeYHicSzvuBENm8
For Pre-registration or to ask questions, please contact: Jay Hopewell at: Middlevillemi at yahoo.com (preferred), or (616)891-8991
https://www.facebook.com/k8bmi/photos/a.124517410989743/2332232720218190/

There will not be an Independent Repeater Association (IRA-W8IRA) board meeting in  September as previously announced. The next board meeting is Thursday, October 24, 6PM. Russ’s Restaurant in Wyoming. Russ’s is located at 2340 28th St SW, Wyoming, MI 49519 Map: https://goo.gl/maps/PNnxmehUAFm
http://w8ira.org/home/big-rapids-tower-fundraiser/
http://w8ira.org/  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1764710107178775/ mailto:info at w8ira.org

IRA OPEN HOUSE & SITE CLEANUP,  Saturday, October 5, 9AM to 2 or ?.
The Independent Repeater Association (IRA) W8IRA is doing Open House
and cleanup at the 92nd Street Hill repeater site.
This site hosts many other Amateur Radio groups equipment as well.
If you have never set foot on “the hill”, or it’s been a while, or
last week, this is a great time to get a tour of the place. We will
be showing off the (not fancy) place as well as doing some tiding up
inside and out.
Do not feel any obligation to partake in cleanup. We look forward to
your company. Arrive when you can, leave when you want to.
We’ll have coffee, donuts, and a hot dog lunch, all free.
Talk-in (as you can guess) 147.16-(94.8Hz)
566 92nd St SE, Byron Center, MI 49315
Lat 42.796779, long -85.650055 Map: https://goo.gl/maps/Zp7RSg9cQpR2
http://w8ira.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/1764710107178775/
mailto:info at w8ira.org 147.16-(94.8Hz)