[W8lrc] Amateur Radio Communications support for the Red Cross “Sound The Alarm”

Jack Amelar jamelar at yandex.com
Tue May 7 20:59:24 EDT 2019

Amateur Radio Communications support for the Red Cross “Sound The Alarm”.
IF NOT THIS ONE, VOLUNTEER OR AT LEAST ONE EVENT THIS YEAR!

This Friday, May 10, the West Michigan Chapter of the American Red Cross is doing Sound the Alarm, a home fire safety and smoke alarm installation event. This will be in the Kentwood area. Numbers of volunteer alarm installers is projected about 250 to 300 with over 1200 alarms.
https://www.redcross.org/local/michigan/about-us/news-and-events/events/sound-the-alarm-grand-rapids.html

Us Hams have been asked to provide communications during the event. This will be a big event, we need a good turn out. The Red Cross has provided a nice home for GRARA and the radio room, really, for ALL hams to benefit. IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU ARE A GRARA MEMBER OR NOT. We want to encourage radio operators to be part of the communications team. Communications will be using W8DC repeater 147.26+(94.8Hz). Make sure your HT is charged and programmed.

The meeting time and location has been changed from previous announcements.
Arrive 7:30 – 7:45 AM at the Kentwood District Library, 4950 Breton Rd SE, Kentwood, MI 49508, between 44th and 52nd St SE. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/tGK5uiKDrJYxpm7o7
Registration starts at 7:45 AM* Light breakfast will be provided. The dress code is casual and comfortable, a Sound the Alarm t-shirt will be provided. Please wear closed toed shoes as you may be going into homes within the community. Be prepared rain or shine! We will come together again for lunch at the Kentwood Library from 12:00-1:00 PM, following lunch we will depart again for afternoon smoke alarm installations.
*Please email Jim K8CAN jm_leys at yahoo.com that you will be available.

Let’s have a good turnout for this life saving event.

73 Jack NY8D
Jim K8CAN
Stephen AC8QE