[W8lrc] LARC March Meeting PIO

Jack Amelar jamelar at yandex.com
Thu Mar 17 20:52:24 UTC 2022

PIO March 17, 2022 Lowell ARC meeting

KENT/OTTAWA NWS VIRTUAL BASIC SPOTTER TRAINING March 17, 18, 29, or 30. Register for only one session.
www.weather.gov/grr/spottertraining

Crossroads Hamfest (Kalamazoo), Saturday, March 19
Location: Wings Stadium complex at 3600 Vanrick Dr., Kalamazoo Township, MI 49001. (However, 3705 Vanrick or 42.2544796N, 85.533357W will give you better directions from your GPS)
Website: https://www.w8df.com/index.php?content=hamfest
Flier: https://www.w8df.com/hamfest/hamfest2022.pdf
Talk-in: 147.00+(94.8Hz)
Phone: 269-815-8007 Email: smarshamfest at gmail.com?subject=Hamfest
SEE ATTACHED .PDF

BARRY-ROUBAIX BICYCLE RUN Saturday, March 26. Communications coordinated by the Barry County ARA (BARA-K8BMI)
"Like the classic it’s named after, Barry-Roubaix will test riders against (80%) rolling gravel roads, pavement, one mile of rough two track, rocks, sand, mud, and possibly snow and ice as you traverse the scenic roads of Barry County."
https://barry-roubaix.com
bara_newsletter at yahoo.com https://k8bmi.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/244810886954700/ K8BMI 442.725+(94.8Hz)

5th Annual DIRTY 30 GRAVEL GRINDER, "Kick off the cycling season on Saturday, April 2, 2022 at the Dirty 30 Gravel Grinder in Ionia County, Saranac, Michigan, just a gravel skip from Grand Rapids, Michigan."
https://dirtythirtygravelgrinder.com/
contact: Email n8mrc at yahoo.com Cell 616-272-1341, leave message…

Allegan County Amateur Radio Club, Saturday, April 2, presents our annual Spring Mini-Swap located at the Salem Township Hall (3003 142nd Ave, Burnips, MI). Weather permitting there will be truck sales available out in the parking lot.
Doors open at 8:00 AM, or 7:30 to allow you to setup your table and going until at least 11 AM, but scheduled 'til Noon.
Entrance Fee is $5.00 (for indoor or outdoor truck sales) and tables indoors are $5.00 each (first come first serve).
Coffee and concessions will be available.

Subject: Michigan QSO Party 2022 Announcement, Saturday, April 16
Michigan Amateur Radio Clubs, The annual Michigan QSO Party is April 16, 2022. The MiQP Committee is in the process of revamping the web site and making changes to the rules of the MiQP. Those changes should take place sometime this month. Check out the web site for more details. We will send out another notice once the rules are finalized.
In the meantime, spread the word about the new MiQP and make plans to participate and make Michigan radio active on April 16th.
For full rules, see http://www.miqp.org.
SEE ATTACHED .PDF

2022 RIVER BANK RUN. The Main Event Which is on May 14th from 6AM - 1PM with varying end times. We will also have a RBR Pre-Meeting on Friday May 13th at KCSD 701 Ball Ave from 6:30PM - 8:30PM. (We need about 80-85 People to help with the main event in various positions). Sign up at: https://bit.ly/3txJ8Vl
For those who have never worked the River Bank Run. This is the PREMIER Communications event in Kent County. This event is one that you'll enjoy and come back every year for more! The RBR event is HUGE and keeps growing! Please feel free to send this to any hams you think may be interested in assisting with this event. Thank You
Karl Palma www.kcest.org

IRA Hudsonville Hamfest, Saturday, June 4
Location: Hudsonville Fairgrounds, 5235 Park Ave, Hudsonville, MI 49426
Website: http://w8ira.org/hudsonville-hamfest/
Flier: http://w8ira.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/IRA-Hamfest-2022-Full-Sheet.pdf
Sponsor: Independent Repeater Association
Type: ARRL Hamfest
Talk-In: 147.16 + (94.8Hz)
Public Contact: Tom Bosscher K8TB, 3148 Rosewood, Hudsonville, MI 49426
Phone: 616-209-9296 Email: hamfest at w8ira.org

"LONG RANGE FORECAST":

GRAHamfest 2022 (Grand Rapids Area Hamfest), Saturday September 10
Save the date, more details later. www.w8dc.org

5th Annual IRA OPEN HOUSE & SITE CLEANUP, Saturday, October 1, 9AM to 2 or ?.
The Independent Repeater Association (IRA) W8IRA is doing Open House
and cleanup at the 92nd Street Hill repeater site.

RECURRING EVENTS:

CW PRACTICE. Having settled on a good frequency, (146.480), I would like to invite you to join us Thursday evenings, 8PM for a little fun with FM Simplex. If you have an oscillator, we can practice some CW on 2m, or if you want to test your radio for Simplex operation, we got that too. 73, Greg, KE8GC

The West Michigan Technical Group Thursday Night dinner 6pm. Check Facebook page for current location.
West Michigan Technical Group is a group of "Hams" that support the West Michigan Amateur Radio community with reliable and open communication systems.
https://www.wmtg.me/ https://www.facebook.com/wmtgnet/

LUNCH BUNCH FRIDAYS, Bob Evans Restaurant, 6565 Kalamazoo Ave SE just south of M-6 expressway exit 11.
https://www.bobevans.com/locations/caledonia
Lunch Bunch is open to all hams, aspiring hams, inquisitive non-hams, etc. We don't care, regardless of any, or no, club affiliation. It’s a Beer & Bull session, without the Beer. We’ll talk about radio and most any other subject that comes up.
Who sponsors this? NOBODY! It's just a gathering of hams, and there's always room for you. Inquires to Jack ny8d at arrl.net Cell: 616-438-1464. Heck, just show up!

NEWS BROADCASTS on the Lowell System 145.27
ARRL NEWS Saturdays 7PM & Sundays 7PM
AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE Saturdays 7PM & Sundays 7AM

NEWS BROADCASTS on the IRA Link System 147.16
AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE Tuesdays at Noon
ARRL NEWS Thursdays at Noon
Coverage map with remote frequencies: http://w8ira.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/largemap.jpg
FOLLOWING THE NEWSCASTS the IRA Repeater enters Parrot (Echo) mode for 5 minutes. Good time to check your signal and modulation as this mode repeats your transmission.

VE EXAM - GRAND RAPIDS, second Fridays, 6PM registration, 6:30 exam.
GRARA VE TESTING LOCATION UPDATE, GVSU, downtown campus, on the first floor of the engineering building. This is the same room we have been meeting in the past couple of months. Kennedy Hall of Engineering room 124. Testing will continue in this location until further notice - a least through the spring of 2022.
Before coming to the testing session we need you to complete two items, Obtaining an FRN and Filling out a Form. Details and registration at
MAP: https://goo.gl/maps/1NSR5vPhSpGZDEfHA
https://www.gvsu.edu/homepage/files/pdf/maps/robertc.pewgrandrapidscampus.pdf
https://w8dc.org/license-testing/
No exam fee, Laurel VEC. Email questions to stprovost at provtechs.com